Powered by Blogger.

Braised Short Ribs and the Thursday from Hell

A suburban mother's role is to deliver children obstetrically once, and by car for ever after.

Peter De Vries

Some days you look back on and think... how the hell did I make it through that? Thursday was that kinda day.

6:05am: "MOM! DAD! It's music with Maiya day!" 

6:06am: "SBean… Go back to bed!"

7:30am: Time to get up. GROAN.

7:34am: My Fitbit starts vibrating, it's telling me that it is my last chance. Effing get up!

7:42am: I finish getting dressed and put on my foundation and powder, I always find that makeup helps me get set for a busy day! I've been wearing makeup every day for the past 3 weeks ๐Ÿ˜ณ

7:45am: Make lunches for the girls, get them dressed, and get their chore charts done.

8:00am: Give Ninja a kiss and say goodbye to Daddy-o. They are off to work.

8:15am: Throw in a load of laundry.

8:30am: Get the kids in the van, it's time for school!

8:45am: Drop HBear off at school and explain to SBean for the 98th time that music class does not start until 9:15.

8:55am: Pull up to the water store. SBean and I went inside. This is significant because of who works inside. My Dad has gone on a few dates with the lady that works there. Nothing serious and nothing big but they have. Every time I go in I always pretend that I don't know her. This time she was super talkative and asking the Bean lots of questions. When I was leaving I told her I left our punch card at the counter. She then said, "that's OK… I know you are." ☺️ it's out there in the universe now LOL.

9:15am: First day of music class!! We love the Little Tree Music Together program sooooo much! This term the theme is Flutes. The only problem is the parent participation… And the fact that I cannot sing ๐Ÿ˜ณ. SBean doesn't seem to mind though.

10:20am: Pull up at the fabric store. I need more thread for the Brownie capes.

10:30am: Run into the Dollar Store. I had to get Velcro for the Brownie capes.

10:40am: Run into Value Village. HBear's navy pants no longer fit and she needed a new pair for Brownies.

10:50am: Run home to change over laundry.

11:00am: While I'm home, I get everything packed and ready for after school activities.

11:15am: Make SBean a little snack.

11:20am: Get into running gear, down a granola bar and fill up our water bottles.

11:25am: Get back into the van and start heading up to the school.

11:35pm: My Sis calls to confirm birthday present idea for Dad next week.

11:45am: Enter the school gym for the Terry Fox run.

11:50am: Run 2 laps with the kids... Then take a break to "take pictures"... Yeah that's right ๐Ÿ™„

12:15pm: Home for lunch!

1:00pm: Get SBean down for a nap. 3 books, twinkle twinkle, snore.

1:25pm: Get working on the DPAC minutes from my meeting the night before.

2:30pm: Wake SBean up and head to the school for pick up.

2:35pm: Stop at SBesty's to pick up Brownie Binder.

2:50pm: HBear and SBesty get out and get into the van.

3:00pm: Get home and get SBesty dressed for ballet. Ninja was home because he had a massive toothache ๐Ÿ˜ž. He had just seen the dentist and was given a prescription for Tylenol 3 and penicillin. I picked up the prescriptions while we were home.

3:15pm: Get all 3 kids back into the van and head to ballet.

3:30pm: Drop off SBesty and head to the pharmacy.

3:45pm: Drop off prescriptions. They tell me they won't be ready for 30 minutes!!!! Shit.

3:55pm: Run home and pick up Ninja with his incredibly sore mouth.

4:00pm: Get HBear dressed for Brownies and switch the laundry over.

4:10pm: Put 3 boxes of Girl Guide cookies into the mailbox for pick up.

4:20pm: Drive back to the pharmacy and pick up Ninja's meds.

4:30pm: Pick up SBesty from ballet and get her changed for Brownies.

4:45pm: Get to the school for the Open House Back to School BBQ.

4:55pm: Wave to SBesty and Hubby! Assure them their daughter made it to ballet just fine ๐Ÿ˜Š

5:00pm: Drop off Girl Guide cookies to our PAC chair.

5:05pm: Head into the school to meet the teacher and see HBear's classroom.

5:20pm: Go into SBesty's class and take pictures for Mom and Dad who are busy making and selling burgers for all the families at the bbq. While walking around Ninja's prescription glass arm breaks and the screw goes missing. Grrrr

5:30pm: Get the kids fed.

5:45pm: Ninja's tooth is still killing him ๐Ÿ˜ž. Let the kids go play on the playground.

5:55pm: Get all 3 of the girls and PSBesty back in the van.

6:00pm: Get to Brownies. Hand in all our cookie money, 3 girl's dues, 3 girl's registration for camp and dice for the game they are playing at the meeting.

6:10pm: Quickly chat with my YBesty. She just started working so it was nice catching up. Her son is in music with us so I told her all about it and reassured her that the "new Andrea" (her Mom) is doing a fabulous job ๐Ÿ˜Š

6:15pm: Drive Ninja home so he can get to bowling league on time.

6:30pm: Get SBean bathed, creamed and brushed.

6:50pm: Bed time for SBean. 3 different books, twinkle twinkle.... Snore.

7:15pm: Make myself a small dinner (leftover sausages and perogies) get dishes done and tidy up.

7:30pm: Prepare for next day's activities by getting everything ready to go by the door.

7:45pm: MBesty drops off HBear from Brownies... along with her last year's binder which magically reappeared in the foyer that evening after 6 months of me posting questions about it's whereabouts. Nobody took it home by accident and it must have walked into their meeting all by itself. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

7:50pm: Get HBear bathed, creamed and brushed.

8:05pm HBear's 15 minutes of take home reading.

8:20pm: Get HBear into bed.

8:25pm: Fold all the laundry for the day.

8:30pm: Yoga time!

9:00pm: Shower

9:37pm: Get into bed and check my Fitbit... 

9:40pm: Sigh... Grey's time! Oh how I need you today.

And THAT my friend's is a full day ๐Ÿ˜Š

Last week Dad went to Winnipeg to surprise his big Bro on his 65th birthday! While he was gone I made everything he doesn't like. Chili with cornbread muffins and Braised Beef Short Ribs. To be perfect honest, I'm not a huge fan of beef short ribs either. However, my inlaws like them and they are going on a cruise next week so I made them a good hearty meal before they have to eat all that cruise ship food ๐Ÿ˜ณ LOL.

This recipe is the bomb! The Pioneer Woman is 1 of my favourites. I trust her, she has never led me wrong in the past and this recipe is no exception.

We all enjoyed it soooo much I totally forgot to take pictures of the finished dinner! I served the ribs on a bed of egg noodles with sauce ladled over... YUM!

Braised Beef Short Ribs
Adapted from The Pioneer Lady

16 beef short ribs
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup flour
12 pieces bacon, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
4 carrots, diced
2 shallots, minced
1 bottle red wine
4 cups beef broth
4 sprigs thyme
4 sprigs rosemary

Salt and pepper ribs, then dredge in flour and garlic powder. Set aside.


In a large dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until complete crispy and all fat is rendered. Remove bacon and set aside. Do not discard grease.

Add oil to pan with the bacon grease, and raise heat to high. Brown ribs on all sides, about 45 seconds per side. Remove ribs and set aside. Turn heat to medium.

Add onions, carrots, and shallots to pan and cook for 2 

Pour in wine and scrape bottom of pan to release all the flavorful bits of glory. Bring to a boil and cook 2 minutes.

Add broth, 1 teaspoon salt, and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Taste and add more salt if needed. 

Add ribs to the liquid; they should be almost completely submerged.

Add thyme and rosemary sprigs (whole) to the liquid.

Put on the lid and place into the oven. Cook at 350 for 2 hours, then reduce heat to 325 and cook for an additional 30 to 45 minutes. 

Remove pan from oven and allow to sit for at least 20 minutes, lid on, before serving. At the last minute, skim fat off the top of the liquid.

I made it all in the morning and then I refrigerated the mixture, then removed solid fat from the top before I put it in the oven to reheat before dinner.

This week was Hell... not just my Thursday from Hell LOL. Ninja and I had head colds from Hell which made us miss drinks with dear family friends ๐Ÿ˜ž, there was a DPAC meeting, a Guider Leader meeting, I had to cut and sew 20 Brownie capes, Ortho, PRO D Day, Swimming lessons, both dance classes, KISU regular practices PLUS a team practice for 2 hours on Friday evening, our annual hockey draft, dinner with friends (and a subsequent hangover for the draft), Brownie cookie sales at Superstore and all the other regular day to day shit too.

I would complain but honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way. ๐Ÿ˜Š 

Musical Theatre

MBesty helped cut out all the capes with me!

Terry Fox Run.

School BBQ.

Our new pet in the car port!

Grandma helped (and by helped I mean did) serge all the capes. HBear was an eager helper.

On ProD Day we had to go to the bank, the Orthodontist, and to the eyeglass store to fix Ninja's glasses. It was a beautiful day so we parked and walked to each place.

Team Swim Practice.

On Saturday we went geocaching in OK Falls. We walked along the KVR, it was gorgeous! I practiced taking pictures with Mom's camera.






Date night! We went for drinks at the wine bar to start. Ninja is always taking pictures of me... I tsked and then I gave him my version of duck lips LOL.


We met up with 2 couples for dinner and drinks after. So much fun!

The next morning was our annual hockey draft! I am liking my team and think I have a shot this year! Granted... I say that every year :)


The Valley is in full mode autumn. Next week we are headed to Cochrane for my Sis's birthday, Dad's birthday and Thanksgiving.

I wonder if I should bring them some Okanagan apples?? ๐Ÿ˜Š



Post a Comment

  © HoneyBears & SydneyBeans

Design by Emporium Digital via Blogspot templates