Powered by Blogger.

Spring Break, St Patrick's Day, and Baking

You know that time you left the iron on or if you are old enough... the curling iron or perhaps your flat iron? Yeah, and you're out for the afternoon and realize it and the entire time you can't shake the feeling that you've just burnt down your house.

You get home, the house is still standing but you still have that terrible feeling.

That's what happened to me on Friday night. 

But worse. 

Way worse.

Last week we changed the girls bedroom around. We moved out the crib\toddler bed brought down the loft bed and turned it into a bunkbed. SBean is in her glory! She is a big girl in a big girl bed!

HBear wanted to add her favorite color to the room… Blue. So we went out and picked out a few blue accessories to add to SBean's favourite, purple. I was in full mode big girl and even got them each a clip on big girl reading light.

We haven't figured out everything. We still have cords that need to go away lol, books that need to find a home, Tops of shelves need to be filled, and the bookshelves need to be rearranged so the kids can use the buckets better. BUT, we are on our way! There is so much more room without the staircase (which we separated and now serve as the bookcases).

Ninja worked on making it more feasible today...

We did all of this last Wednesday. Thursday was my first full Thurshitday in a while. Ninja is back to work so I was on my own. *** It's weird when Ninja has his winter break and I get used to the help and then all of a sudden it's, poof... gone. 

And so we dropped HBear off at school, ran to Walmart to get handles for HBear's new big girl ladder (she had a staircase before) and then went to SBean's last swimming lesson.

She did not pass but she sure had fun! For trying hard we went to Starbucks for a cake pop.

Then we ran into my MBesty's work to give her a hot chocolate! After that we went to HBear's school to catch the tail end of her fun day.

Gosh those kids are cute all cheering each other on LOL after I did a little hot lunch count in our kitchen and then we picked up HBear and took her to Gifted. We quickly went home and had lunch and did some laundry and then it was back to Gifted for pick up. We dropped HBear off at Broadway and came home to change over laundry. Picked her up from Broadway, got baths done, had dinner, and went to pick up her Besty for Brownies.

When I got home Dad and Ninja we're off to bowling and SBean asked to watch the Lorax. We love the Lorax. I PVRed it 4 years ago and honestly we watch it… Often. LOL it was the first movie my Mom and I took HBear to when she was 3. It has such a fabulous story and meaning behind it plus the music rocks!

When it was time for bed I read SBean her 3 books and turned off her reading light. She freaked. I said OK you can keep it on until HBear gets home in 20 minutes and then it is lights off.

OK I promise. 

HBear got home and I got her Pajamas and teeth brushed and into bed. Can we just read a few books Mommy? OK a few but then lights off.

Are you following my mistakes here?

At 8:00 I went in and said OK girls lights off. That's when it started. SBean had a category 5 massive meltdown of epic proportions.

By 8:30 HBear came out of the room saying that she couldn't sleep. Duh! LOL The house 10 doors down was probably having trouble sleeping with all the commotion.

I had gone in a few times and threatened and yelled and I even tried the laydown and cuddle approach. I even took the light out of their room! Nothing was working. She was kicking and thrashing around and she knocked her water bottle off the kitchenette and the "sink" was filled wth water! I blotted it all up and than I picked her up took her into the living room set her on the chair while I sat on the couch in silence. She got down she rolled on the floor, kicked her feet, and attacked my legs but I said nothing.

When she stopped for air I picked her up and rocked her using soothing sounds. She quieted down. I explained to her that her behavior was absolutely unacceptable and that there would be consequences. I asked her if she understood and she said yes. I told her if she wanted to come to hot lunch and to HBear's Talent Show the next day it was time for bed and this behavior was done. I put her back in her bed and looked at the clock. 8:59.

Holy shit. 

The next day was hotdog day! So SBean and I went to the school early and then after hot lunch was HBear's Talent Show! I am so proud of her. That takes so much courage to get up in front of the whole school and… Sing! There is a lot of things I would do in front of people but singing is not one of them. The girls did great 😄

That night we took a hot tub and the girls went into bed without too much of a fuss LOL SBean had a minor meltdown when we turned off her light but was quite tired. We have been so busy that she has not taken a nap in 3 days! She crashed HARD. 

At about 9 o'clock HBear came out. She has been licking her upper lip and was asking what she could do to stop. So we sat there and talked about mind over matter and hydrating our skin for about 20 minutes. When I opened up her door I smelled it right away.

I frantically looked around and then I saw it. She had taken off her pillowcase and put it over her new reading light and it looked like smoke was coming from the top. All I could smell was burning.

Oh my God HBear you can't do that! I grabbed the pillowcase which head completely burnt a hole through both sides! The light was burning hot!

Ninja smelled it and came running in, we were trying not to alarm HBear because she was bawling and saying sorry repeatedly. Really it was us that was sorry, we had never told her NOT to do that. We opened up the window and explained that we never put things over lightbulbs and then I pulled that reading light out of her room as well.

SBean slept through it all.

My stomach was sick. If that caught on fire attached to their wooden bunk bed right beside her head! Oh my GAWD that could've been so bad. So bad. It makes me sick thinking about it even now.

Could have been.


So thankful.

So... Spring Break started.

We are now 3 days in... how you doing?

I didn't put HBear in any camps this break. Maaaaaaannnnn can she talk, and talk, and talk! LOL I planned lots of fun things so hopefully we all make it through the next 2 weeks! 2 WEEKS! WTF? 


Rocking it out!

Watching HBear's Friend's Hockey game (LunchBesties sons)

Ninja took HBear and her Besty to Zootopia,

We took pictures in the sunshine while clipping chives,

HBear went to her Besty's for a Leprechaun Hunt!

We had a playdate at HBear's SBesty's. SBean is the same age as her little Brother and they are Gymnastics together. SBesty and I got a nice visit in too :)

Tomorrow we have a movie date planned with MBesty!

Friday is Crafting at the Library for St Patty's Day and this weekend we are getting the backyard ready! It is time for outdoor living BABY!

This morning we made a St Patrick's Day craft... a leprechaun hat!

I followed the directions from Meaningful Mama and we made super duper cute hats!

We also made no bake bars and Snickerdoodles!

Snickerdoodle Cookies
Adapted from Cookies and Cups

1 cup butter, room temperature
¾ cup granulated sugar
½ cup light brown sugar
1 egg, plus 1 yolk
1 Tbsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
½ tsp kosher salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2¾ cup flour
Cinnamon Sugar
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 325°

Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat, set aside.

In bowl of stand mixer beat butter and both sugars until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. With mixer on medium speed add in egg, yolk and vanilla and beat for another minute, scraping the sides as necessary.

Turn mixer to medium low and mix in baking soda, cream of tartar, salt and 1 tsp cinnamon. Mix for 30 seconds, scraping sides as necessary.

Turn mixer to low and add in flour, mixing until just combined.

In a separate small bowl make your Cinnamon Sugar by mixing together cinnamon and sugar, stirring until evenly combined.

Measure out about 2 Tbsp of dough and roll into a ball. Then roll each cookie dough ball into the Cinnamon Sugar mixture.

Place on prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes, turning cookie sheet halfway through baking.


No Bake Cereal Bars

¼ cup butter
¼ cup corn syrup (you could use honey but they won't stick as well)
¼ cup brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon vanilla
3 cups Cereal (We used Honey Nut Cheerios)
1 cup raisins, nuts, craisins, or other treat!
½ cup mini 
chocolate chips or we used chocolate rocks
Pinch of Kosher Salt

Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.

In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine butter, corn syrup, brown sugar, and heat on high power for 1 minute to melt.
Stop to stir.

Return bowl to microwave and heat for 1 more minute on high power. Stir.

Return bowl to microwave and heat for 1 more minute on high power. Stir.

*Use caution when removing from micro because this is boiling hot caramel and can cause burns.

Stir in the vanilla using caution in case mixture bubbles up.

Stir in the cereal.

Stir in the optional goodies.

Press out into prepared pan, packing down firmly with a spatula.

Sprinkle kosher salt on top 

Cover pan with a sheet of foil and place pan in fridge to set up for at least 2 to 3 hours.

Bars will keep airtight in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, or in the freezer for up to 6 months.

Wow Us Wednesdays #265


These are SUPER good but a little sweet for my taste. The girls LOVED them though. Next time I would use regular Cheerios and maybe some nuts or sesame seeds for a bit more salt :)


Shellie Bowdoin March 19, 2016 at 5:04 PM  

A mother's job is never done and I am impressed you still have time for crafts! Thanks for sharing your creativity with the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop!


Post a Comment

  © HoneyBears & SydneyBeans

Design by Emporium Digital via Blogspot templates